The third drawer's for shit. And it's full of it.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

weirdness

We just had a birth certificate returned to us because the person objects to having a number!

"I am rejecting the use of a number to represent my physical body or name. This is due to a strong religious belief I now hold in God Almighty and His Son Jesus Christ. I follow the law and commandments of God which I believe forbid the use of any number being used to represent, be in place of or associated with my name for any purpose."

I wonder if she's Brethren or some similar cultish sect? I don't imagine she's Closed Brethren since she wouldn't be able to send a letter - I don't think their women are allowed contact outside of the community. Perhaps just a happy-clappy with some extreme biblical interpretation.

By her reasoning she couldn't have a passport, bank account or even a telephone. No internet access, no driver's license, no memberships for pretty well any organisations. She'd have difficulty going to the doctor or anywhere that uses a ticketing system for visitors. She couldn't even buy a lottery ticket.

On the whole I like that she's making a stand on it, pushing the system to justify its position and test whether those reasons are firm enough to overrule personal convictions. Even if she's doing it for loony religious reasons.

Of course she's pushing butter up a porcupine's arse with a hot needle but I'm interested to see how far she gets.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
May contain traces of weird