The third drawer's for shit. And it's full of it.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

late as in the late Dentarthurdent

Anyone who knows me will be well aware of my congenital lateness. It's a genetic disorder.

I'm routinely 10 to 30 minutes late for work every morning, in fact I'm usually leaving the house at about the time I'm supposed to be at work. On the good days I'm only about 5 minutes late (happens about twice a month), on the bad days it can be as much as 45-50 minutes.

Remarkably enough this seems to go completely unnoticed by my bosses. Despite the constant reminders at team meetings (now there's a euphemism for 'complete waste of time') for everyone to stick to the 8:30 - 4:30 schedule, and warnings about fudging time sheets.

I always make up the time at the end of the day or at some stage in the week and, since I generally work through lunch hours and breaks, my conscience is never troubled. Despite the occasional hour & a half lunch break with friends... I'm of the opinion that if you do the work well, keep up the stats (gah.. fucking numbers) and are generally professional in your dealings with clients it doesn't really matter what hours you work.

This view tends not to be held by some of the higher muckety-mucks: those who're all about the numbers usually. But so far I've managed to avoid any kind of censure, or have my work habits even questioned.

I was having lunch with an escapee from BDM (she works as a lawyer now - step up or step down? hmmm...) and one of my superiors the other week and gossiping about the weirdos we work with (as you do) when the subject of time sheets & hours came up. She mentioned that things were getting pretty strict and everyone had been limited to working only their exact hours these days. Then she looked at me and with a puzzled expression said "All except for you.. Why is that?"

Fortunately I managed to steer the conversation elsewhere before she had a chance to think it over.. *whew*

I think I must have Stealth capabilities at work. Long may that last...


No comments:

About Me

My photo
May contain traces of weird