The third drawer's for shit. And it's full of it.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

soul fire

Top of the list of awesome bands/performers I've missed this year: Lee "Scratch" Perry.

I'm kicking myself so hard.

I didn't even know he was down this way until Eroica called me from the gig in Christchurch the other weekend: she just held the phone up so I could get a wee taste of the Upsetter, live.

It wasn't enough.

And, dammit, his New Zealand dates were after his Australian ones so I'd already lost my chance.

You'd think, living in Sydney where all the bands play, I'd manage to get out and see more. But no: so far this year I've managed to miss Moving Units, Interpol, Spoon, Bo Diddley, Belle and Sebastian, Cat Power, Nick Cave, etc-farking-cetera.

The bugger about it is that I don't see much change in the near future due to extreme penury...

City-living is arse if you're not into the whole sell-your-soul-to-the-rat-race thing. Worst of both worlds: proximity to all the cool shit but no resources to experience them, too far away from the quiet areas to get to them in your meagre free-time.

I need to go home.

1 comment:

eroica said...

come home, love.
and i'll shout you to the next big [worthwhile] gig that comes to chch. that's a promise.

About Me

My photo
May contain traces of weird